Advice on Stuffy Nose and Sore Throat
Stuffy nose and sore throat usually are present together in the initial stage of common cold or flu as commonly known. This cold typically produces nasal congestion, a scratchy throat and sneezing. Blocked sinuses along with some general symptoms like fever, body ache and weakness are also present.
Cold weather, stress, lack of sleep and poor nutrition can damage the immune system and make us susceptible to viruses causing the above complaints.
Prevention of Sore Throat and Stuffy Nose
Prevention and self care is important in these cases.
- Keep away from people who are infected with cold.
- Wash hands often. Turning a door knob or picking up a telephone, recently touched by someone with cold, may infect your system, particularly if you rub your eyes or nose afterwards.
- Eat well balanced diet and get enough rest.
- Take plenty of hot beverages, these open up clogged up nasal passages and make breathing easy.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Inhale steam to relieve stuffed nose. Aromatic oils inhaled through steam may give added benefits.
- Get some fresh air. Take some gentle walk.
” for Stuffy Nose and Sore Throat
- Basil is heat generating in action and is useful in respiratory infection. It has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Leaves of this plant, mixed with equal quantity of dried ginger powder, form an excellent substitute for tea during cold and flu. This may be taken by adding milk and sugar three time in a day.
- Garlic also helps to prevent cold, flu and stimulate circulation and aid digestion. Garlic is considered to be a natural antibiotic as it can destroy foreign bacteria and viruses. However, eating more than five pods a day may result in heartburn and flatulence.
- Turmeric is a proven anti-inflammatory agent. Add one teaspoon of the powder or paste of turmeric to a cup of milk and take the same thrice daily. This helps in early recovery. Turmeric also reduces symptoms like weakness and corrects constipation if any. It keeps the lungs clear of phlegm and activates the functions of liver.
- Fried turmeric powder taken with ghee mixed in hot milk and taken orally gives immediate relief.
May 28, 2009 | Filed Under ” Comments