We’ve all known someone in our lifetime that has fought breast cancer – a family member, a friend, a co-worker. This article will help you see how you can support breast cancer research at home, school and the office. Learn more about the Breast Cancer Research Foundation and how they work toward preventing breast cancer and finding a cure.
The best way to support breast cancer research is to donate. It doesn’t matter if you donate money, time or supplies – you’re supporting charity for a cause. The Breast Cancer Research Foundation is a good place to start. They are dedicated to preventing breast cancer and finding a cure by funding clinical and genetic research worldwide.
Did you know…
– Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, exceeded only by lung cancer.
– It is estimated by the American Cancer Society that in 2008 about 182,460 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed among women in the United States.
– In 2008, ACS estimates that about 40,480 women will die from breast cancer in the United States.
– In men, 1,990 new cases are projected in 2008, with 450 deaths
– At this time there are about 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the United States.
– A minimum of 85 cents of every dollar donated goes to research and awareness programs.
– Since its inception, the Breast Cancer Research Hospital has raised over $ 220 million – $ 39.5 million in fiscal year 2007/08.
-In October, 2008, BCRF will award over $ 34 million in new research grants to 165 scientists from top universities and academic medical centers across the globe.
So, how can you support breast cancer research in your office? The answer is two simple words: office supplies. Every office needs office supplies to survive. You rely on them for communication, comfort, storage and organization, just to name a few. And well, if you’re already buying office supplies, why not buy them from an organization that supports breast cancer research?!
There are many office supply companies that donate all or a portion of their proceeds toward breast cancer research. Some do it all year, others during Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is in October. It’s easy to find companies who sell office supplies online or in stores. All you have to do is ask or do a simple search online.
And it isn’t just about the pink ribbons! You can find everything from file folders to hanging folders, to desktop organizer trays, portfolios and more. Some of the office supplies will be available in pink so that you can show your support around the office.
It’s always a great time to get involved in the fight against breast cancer. But now, and especially during the Back-to-School season, it’s as good a time as any. When you’re out buying school supplies with your children, teach them about the importance of supporting charitable organizations and show them that supporting breast cancer research is a great way to do just that.